Saturday, May 14, 2011

Altered - Intersections of Art & Mothering

I have not had a moment to blog about the group art show I am in at the Gibsons Public Art Gallery from May 5th - June 6th 2011.  Here are some photos of the show and the set up to get there. 
I wanted to create a performance piece inspired by my 2 1/2 year old and how she influences my art and alters it as well.  I wanted to incorporate a shadow puppet effect and chose corrugated plastic to make a house that would let the light filter through.
 Keeping with the theme of my studio and to reflect age and time,  I framed the unit on the outside with weathered wood.
 I connected the sides together by a building a frame on the inside.
 On set up day at the gallery I was able to assemble it fairly easy. It would house 2 lamps to create the shadow effect.
 There were five mother/ artists in total. Danielle Arsenault, Sandy Buck, Natalie Grambow, Angela Somerset, Shiloh Sukkau.  We had two days to install our show and used every moment.
 This is Shiloh prepping the wall.
Danielle and Angela are figuring out where to hang their pieces.
Our little Angels were set up in front of a video the night before opening to allow us more time to hang our pieces.
 This is the opening party, the kids really got into the gallery vibe.
the name of the piece was "Tell me a Story"

 the performance piece was a hit. I used images inspired by children story books and taped them up on the inside walls while drawing along in coloured markers all the while while a musical game was repeating itself over and over.  Maggie followed my every move on the outside.  
After the performance, I let the kids go in and add their inspired creativity.  The front child is using the musical toy while others draw on the wall.
here is an idea of how the shadow would have looked during the performance, with the door closed. 




this is Cloe, Natalie's lovely little girl who added her creative touch after the performance...if only I  had thought of using 2 markers at once. Kids are truly inspirational. 

1 comment:

  1. Sandy, what a wonderful creation. I sure wish I could see it in person.

    ReplyDelete